Courgettes filled with mushrooms, brown & wild rice
feta with a cashew crumb
Courgettes are an amazing vegetable, full of vitamins; C,B and K.
I’ve made these including feta cheese but equally as delicious if you leave the feta out you can enjoy a great plant-based dish.
Cooking time: 20-30 minutes (depending on the thickness of the courgettes)
4 medium courgettes
½ onion finely chopped
55g brown and wild rice (cooked with a veg stock cube)
100g button mushrooms thinly sliced
1 tsp PG (Parsley and Garlic puree)
1 fresh Lemon (rind and juice)
1 tbls Fresh parsley chopped
sea salt and black pepper
feta cheese (optional) – leave out if plant-based
20g cashew nuts – whizzed to a crumb in the food processor
- Pre heat the oven at 180 (gas mark 4)
- Heat a saucepan with a drizzle of olive oil
- Add the chopped onion and PG
- Cut the courgettes length ways in half and spoon out the middle the middle
- Chop and add to the onion mixture, once onions are cooking through
- Add in the mushrooms and cook the mixture on a gentle heat until the onions are transparent, and the mushrooms are cooked.
- Remove from the heat.
- Put in the zest of half the lemon and then a big squeeze of lemon juice too
- Add the cooked rice together with a pinch of sea salt and a crack of black pepper to that mixture and combine well
- If you are going to use feta add it now, if plant-based leave it out.
- Lay the courgettes on a piece of baking paper on a baking tray
- Fill the courgette cases with the filling in each half of the courgette
- Sprinkle each with the cashew crumb
- Place in the oven covered over loosely with a sheet of baking paper
- After 15 minutes remove the paper and continue cooking until they are crisp and golden, making sure the courgettes are cooked through (approx 12-15 minutes).
- When ready remove from the oven and squeeze some more lemon juice just before serving.
Enjoy with a crispy salad as a light lunch or dinner.
A really good recipe that can be made ahead and simply popped into the oven when you’re ready to eat.
Delicious served cold too!
Enjoy. My plant-based friends – I’m sure you’ll agree having a recipe as versatile as this is a good one to have in your repertoire!